Apply to Our Program

Required materials, application process and timeline, residency certification, information for transfer students.

The 2023 Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) is now open

How to apply

Required materials

Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores are no longer required and will not be evaluated.

Step 1

Complete your Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application

  • Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS) application
  • Choose WSU (all students in the regional program apply to WSU)
  • Application fee. Calculated based on the number of colleges to which you are applying.
  • Transcripts. All transcripts must be received by VMCAS by September 1 to allow for verification.
    • International transcripts (including those from Canadian schools that issue transcripts in French) must be electronically processed through the World Education Services credential evaluation and received at VMCAS before September 15.
  • Three letters of recommendation. At least one letter should be from a veterinarian with whom you have worked or volunteered. We also recommend including one letter from a faculty member or academic staff and one from an employer.

Step 2

Complete the WSU supplemental application and language requirement

  • WSU supplemental application (included in the VMCAS application materials)
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores. Required for all international applicants from a country whose primary language is not English. Students may be exempted from submitting a TOEFL score if they qualify for a language waiver.
    • Send TOEFL test scores to:
      WSU College of Veterinary Medicine
      Office of DVM Admissions
      PO Box 647012
      Pullman, WA 99164-7012

Step 3

Certify residency for WSU regional program and WICHE applicants

  • Idaho, Montana, and Utah residents must certify with their state by September 1. Email DVM Admissions to keep us up to date on your residency certification process.
  • Applicants from Western Interstate Commission on Higher Education (WICHE) states please see your state WICHE office for more information on residency certification requirements.

Note for nonresidents: Applicants accepted at the Pullman campus may be able to establish residency in Washington state after their first year. Nonresident students who spend their first two years at Utah State University will not be able to change their residency status. Most international students will have to pay nonresident tuition for all four years.

Step 4

Schedule your interview

  • Top applicants from Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Utah will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview.
  • Nonresidents are no longer required to come for an interview.

2022-23 application timeline


  • VMCAS Application cycle opens

  • VMCAS school designation available

    • VMCAS application due
    • Deadline to submit WICHE residency applications for residency certification (WICHE eligible applicants only). More information about WICHE certification
    • Residency certification deadline for IdahoMontana, and Utah residents

  • Montana interviews


  • Idaho, Utah, and Washington interviews

  • Deadline to accept or decline offer

  • Final transcripts due

    • Orientation Week (dates to be announced)
    • White Coat Ceremony
    • First day of classes

Transfer students

We consider transfer applicants when space is available. Preference is given to students from our regional program states (Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Utah).